YAP Iceland: July 29 – August 6, 2022 (rising 9th graders – College Freshmen)
Led by Texas A&M professors from the College of Geosciences, students enrolled this session will fly from College Station to Iceland for a week-long study-abroad experience to survey the five major College of Geosciences fields (Geography, Environmental Programs, Geology & Geophysics, Oceanography, and Meteorology) by surveying the waters, land, and sky of this “cool” country. With dedicated instruction led by TAMU professors who are experts in these fields, along with field guides who are skilled in leading educational and experiential based tours, students will learn about everything from biozones to ozone, volcanoes to vanishing glaciers, and hot magma to hot springs through unique tours and activities across the terrain of Iceland.
This camp will feature field-based instruction, with immersive activities that will allow students to explore the geophysical facets and features unique to Iceland.
As part of this experience, participants will…
– Chart a course through the topography of Iceland, with instruction on cartography and mapping
– Tour Icelandic meteorological station and monitor temperature and climate readings throughout the week
– Board a RIB (rigid inflatable boat) and explore the waters and wildlife around the Westman islands
– Trek up, to, and through calderas, live volcanic sites, and the iconic Langokull glacier
– Experience the beauty of Vestmannaeyjar, home to the largest puffin colony on the planet
– Descend into Vi´ðgelmir and explore the worlds largest lava cave
– Get sprayed by the mist of the Gullfoss waterfall and the Geysir Hot Springs
– Power your mind through tours of Geothermal & Hydroelectric power plants
– See tectonic plates grow apart at the rate your fingernails grow at a UNESCO world heritage site
– End your trip relaxing in the geothermal waters of the Blue Lagoon
The cost of the YAP Iceland trip is $5499.
These costs will cover ALL expenses in Iceland (tours, transportation, hotels, meals, activities) along with international airfare. The only expense not covered is the cost of a US passport, which can take up to 18 weeks (a.k.a. 4+ months) to receive, so if you are planning to enroll make sure that you apply or renew your passport NOW (must be valid through February 6, 2023)
In addition, due to current entrance requirements for Iceland, all participants in this destination camp must be fully vaccinated or be willing to be fully vaccinated by July 1, 2022 and provide all appropriate documents demonstrating this status.
In order to reserve your spot for either trip, a $1500 deposit will be required. While your card will be charged at the time of enrollment, the registration fee is fully refundable through Wednesday, December 1st. The remaining balance payments can be made in monthly installments of $1000 starting January 22nd, 2022.
Students interested in a YAP C course and YAP Iceland are allowed to enroll in both sessions.